- Let your student take the lead. Preparing for orientation is your student’s first step in creating their college experience, so let them hold the reins. They have their own checklist to complete, which you can find here, just in case you want to help them stay on track.
- Register. Check in with your student and make sure that they registered you for the Parent and Family Program when they registered themselves for IntroDUCKtion. If they aren’t sure, check their confirmation materials or call our office at 541-346-1159. Their registration includes one parent or guest. If you would like to add an additonal parent or guest for the Parent and Family Program after your student has completed their registration, you may send a check for $95 to the address below.Student Orientation Programs
5263 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5263
- Book flights. If you are joining us from out of state, we recommend you arrive a day before IntroDUCKtion begins because check-in starts at 8:00 a.m. on Day 1 of the session. There are a variety of shuttles that run from the Eugene Airport to campus, as well as shuttles that run between the airport and certain hotels. When booking return flights, please note that IntroDUCKtion is two full days, and we ask that students do not plan on leaving campus before 5:00 p.m. on Day Two. Before you purchase flight tickets, confer with your student to ensure their plans align with yours.
- Find lodging. All students are expected to stay in the residence halls during sessions. We ask that parents and families stay off campus to allow students to connect with their fellow new Ducks. For parent and family accommodations, we recommend either the Best Western or the Hilton—both easily accessible from campus.
- Parking. Your student’s confirmation letter contains a parking pass—be sure to bring that with you if you are driving to campus. Once you arrive, park in one of our designated parking lots, Lot 46, 52–54, or 59 (the Romania lot). Find a parking and program map here.
- Download the “Be A Duck” app. For a detailed schedule, a list of campus contacts, and a variety of maps and other helpful resources, download the 2016 IntroDUCKtion Guide in the “Be an Oregon Duck” app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Join the Parent and Family Association. The University of Oregon Parent and Family Association (PFA) is a community of active and engaged Duck families. If you are interested in joining, consider signing up for the Parent and Family Association here.
What to Bring
- Pen and paper. The Parent and Family Program is packed with important information. You’ll want to take tons of notes, trust us.
- Comfortable walking shoes and layers. You will have the opportunity to take a campus tour when you visit us, as well as use some free time to explore campus and Eugene on your own. Oregon weather is notoriously fickle, so come prepared for rain and shine—maybe in the same day!
- A water bottle because, yes, it gets hot in the summer, and disposable plastic water bottles are the enemy.
- Questions. The Parent and Family Program is the time to get all of your questions answered. Your student will be engaged in their own program, so you will have time to ask about logistics, campus safety, and general student life. We are here to help you, and you can ask us anything.